CLIENT RETENTION AND APPRECIATION
Keeping clients is more important than generating new leads. You can’t grow if you don’t keep your clients for a long time.
Boot Camp Belt System
You will notice in the retention checklist that we mention giving a “white belt bracelet.” This system is designed to engage members, keep them motivated, and keep them striving toward a goal. It is called “The Boot Camp Belt System.” It is a system of “upsells” built into positive reinforcement.
Each member gets a white wristband, which symbolizes that he or she is at a beginner level and a basic boot camp member. As members progress and improve their fitness levels, they are allowed to test up for a yellow band.
The yellow band level includes some semi-private training mixed in with boot camp, and they are also considered boot camp “buddies” at that point. This means that they help acclimate the white belts as they join the program. All white bands are assigned a boot camp buddy (yellow band veteran member).
Black bands are only for members who wish to become part of the <Business Name>team at some point; they have committed themselves to a fitness lifestyle, and are always positive and helpful. Once the member completes our internship process, they receive the black band and are now part of Team <Business Name>.
Client Retention Checklist
Avoid losing your customers by building relationships and keeping in touch using a rolling calendar of communications. This is a programmed sequence of letters, events, phone calls, thank yous, special offers, follow-ups, magic moments, and cards or notes with a personal touch that occurs constantly and automatically at defined points in the pre-sales, sales, and post-sales process.
People not only respond to this positively, they really appreciate it because they feel valued and important. It acknowledges them, keeps them informed, offsets post-purchase doubts, reinforces the reason they’re doing business with you, and makes them feel part of your business so that they want to come back again and again.
Start Date_______________ D.O.B:____________
Phone #:________________ Cell#:_____________
- Send “Welcome To The <Business Name> Family” via mail
- Send “Welcome to The <Business Name> Family” email
- Take Measurements & Before Pictures
- Give Client “white belt” bracelet
- Facebook shout out that they are now a member of the family
- Send, via email, new client material (success manual & checklist/nutrition plan/boot camp schedule/food log)
- Enter new member into newsletter system
- Add the new member to the Facebook private <Business name> membership group
- Birthday Cards
- Referral thank you notes with a personal gift
- MIA phone calls, emails, FB messages, & texts
- IF client leaves-Send them a thank you card
- Weekly Bring a Friend Thursday reminders
- “Just Because” gift to long-time members
- What is the Lifetime Value of Each Client? (LV)
- How long do your clients stay with you?
- What do you do on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis to retain clients?
- Do you have a retention system? If so, do you follow it?
- Are you studying what other businesses do to retain you as a client?
Other Client Retention Strategies
- CRM Systems
- Loyalty Programs
- Magic Moments
- Overcome Buyers’ Remorse
- Personal Touches
- Premiums and Gifts
- Questionnaires and Surveys
- Regular Reviews
- Social Media
- Welcome Book
How awesome would your members feel if they received a personal phone call, a text, a Facebook shout-out, an announcement in front of a group session, or their picture on a “client of the month” poster?
They would feel amazing!
They then associate this feeling of pure awesomeness with you and your business.
Not only will this member stay longer, they will also refer their friends, family members, co-workers, and anyone who will listen.
You don’t need to worry about sneaky sales tactics if you have a FREE SALES FORCE of Raving Lunatics that absolutely love your programs and facility.
Our recognition system is reliant on constant positive contact, and an award system.
We award a boot camper of the month award each month. The boot camper of the month gets to hold the BCOM Belt, bragging rights, is entered into the Boot Camper of the Year running, prizes that are donated from our J.V. partners, and a special parking spot at our facility.
Boot Camper of the Year is run very similarly. We take all 11 Boot Camper of the Month winners and choose a Boot Camper of the Year based on the same criteria.
When it comes to showing appreciation in your business, apply the mantra “ALWAYS or NEVER.”
- Every member will be made to feel like FAMILY!
- Every trainer/employee will know every member’s name and say it AT LEAST 5x per visit
- Every client/member will receive a personal phone call bi-weekly
- Every client/member will receive a personal email check in bi-weekly
- Every client/member will receive a birthday card (sendoutcards.com)
- Every client/member will receive a <company name> wristband
- New clients always receive a welcome email, handwritten note, and follow up email/call series
Day 1: Handwritten “Thank you for joining” card
Welcome email with a nutrition plan, food journal, etc.
Day 7: Check in phone call & email
Day 14: Check in phone call & email
**Need help setting up automated emails? We’ve got you covered! Check out Active Campaign which will help you get your email marketing game strong!
Once a month we will hold a Client Appreciation Event (all clients are allowed, 1 guest):
- Night Out
- T.V. viewing parties
- Gifts just because
ALWAYS REWARD REFERRALS!!!
- Gift Cards
- Personal gifts (know your clients)
HANDWRITTEN THANK YOU!!!!!
- Tag member on Facebook with a thank you message and a picture of him or her receiving his or her reward
- Tag members on FB for reaching a goal, kicking butt during a session, helping others etc. every day
- Reward Facebook check-ins at your facility with prizes (ex: 30 check-ins = t-shirt)
- Get before and after pictures ALWAYS, and put up a “Wall of Fame”
- Run challenge workouts where clients can get their name and picture on a “Challenge Wall of Fame”
- Man/Woman vs Fitness Challenge
- # of Burpees in 10 minutes challenge
- Attendance Awards
- Tamed the Beast Challenge (100 lb kettlebell)
- Do you know every single one of your client’s names? How often do you use their names when they are in your facility?
- Do you send Thank-You cards? Welcome cards? Cards for when they accomplish a goal?
- Do you or a member of your staff call them to say thank you? Check up on them when they don’t show up?
- Do you ALWAYS give referral rewards when a client’s friend signs up? A referral thank-you card? A phone call?
- Do you put on client appreciation events?
- Do you have a private Facebook group set up just for your clients?
- Do you have a time when clients can sit down with you and just talk without charging them?
- Do you ask your members about their families? Personal lives?
- Do you run charity boot camps for causes that matter to your members?
Loyalty Rewards (Anniversary Gift)
Hey <first name>,
First off, I want to thank you for your hard work, dedication, and loyalty!
To show our appreciation we have a sweet REWARD just for you!
You will now pay $10 Bucks Less PER MONTH for your platinum membership!
All you have to do is come in and renew your annual (12 months) membership.
P.S.- While you are at <Business Name>renewing your Boot Camp Membership, you can also enjoy a 1 time 10% discount on all Supplements! Better stock up 😉
To learn more about creating and optimizing your fitness, coaching, or training business check out this Fitness Business Blueprint which has a ton of game-changing tips and strategies to help you get your business up and running.